Saturday 3 February 2018

Insomnia

(text in Finnish below↓)


Tick tock goes the clock.




It's 11pm, I toss and I turn. It's 1am I have to get up in less than 5 hours. Tick tock it's 3am, I fall asleep. I sleep like a dog. At 5.45am I wake up. I go to work, I come back home and round and round the clock we go. The circle begins again.






I suffer from paralyzing insomnia. I've suffered from it for the past 15 years. Nothing seems to help, no one seems to understand. The doctors don't want to write prescribtions for sleep medication, because they're addictive. Apparantely it's better to stay up all night. Night after night, than try to rectify the situation with medication.


I was off sick from work for a long time, because  of my worsening insomnia. The average amount of sleep I got in December was 3,5 hours a night. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Such sleep deprivation makes you (me) feel like you're dying. Just the thought of going to bed becomes a huge stress factor. You're scared you won't fall asleep at all. You're scared you'll miss an appointment and royally fuck up the vague sleeping pattern you have. Your memory becomes that of a person suffering from early signs of dementia. You forget words, you totally forget what you were saying. You go back and forth from room to room, because you always forget something somewhere. You're embarassed by your own behaviour, even though there's nothing you can do about it.


This is my life now. I take a load of medication for sleeping, it takes me 2-3 hours to fall asleep. At best I sleep 5 hours straight, at worst I wake up every hour. I'm a permanently exhausted. It affects the ability to balance work, school and free time.You're awake, but only on the surface. A lot of the times it feels like your brain is flatlining. Why isn't there a cure for this?


Love. Luna








Kello sanoo tik tok.


Kello on 11 illalla, heittelehdin ja pyörähtelen. Kello on 1 yöllä ja minun on noustava alle viiden tunnin kuluttua. Tik tok, kello on 3.00, nukahdan. Nukun koiranunta. Kello 5.45 herään. Menen töihin, tulen kotiin, kello pyörähtää ympäri. Kierros alkaa alusta.








Kärsin halvaannuttavasta unettomuudesta. Olen kärsinyt siitä jo viimeiset 15 vuotta. Mikään ei tunnu auttavan, kukaan ei tunnu ymmärtävän. Lääkärit eivät halua kirjoittaa unilääkkeitä, koska ne ovat addiktoivia. Ilmeisesti on parempi olla valveilla koko yö. Olla hereillä yö toisensa jälkeen, sen sijaan, että ongelma yritettäisiin korjata lääkityksellä.


Olin töistä pitkällä sairaslomalla, koska unettomuuteni paheni pahenemistaan. Joulukuussa nukuin yössä keskimäärin 3,5 tuntia. Joskus enemmän ja joskus vähemmän. Sellainen univaje saa tuntumaan siltä, kuin kuolisi. Pelkkä ajatus nukkumaanmenosta on suuri stressin lähde. Pelkäät, ettet nukahda ollenkaan. Pelkäät, että et ehdi tapaamiseen ja sekoitat sen vähäisen unirytmin joka sinulla on totaalisesti. Muistisi muuttuu sellaiseksi, että se muistuttaa dementian ensioireita. Unohdat sanoja, unohdat mitä olit sanomassa. Kävelet edestakaisin huoneiden välillä, koska unohdat aina jotain jonnekin. Oma toimintasi hävettää, vaikka et voi tehdä sille mitään.  


Tätä on elämäni nyt. Otan läjän lääkkeitä nukahtaakseni. Kestää 2-3 tuntia ennen kuin nukahdan. Parhaimmillani nukun 5 tuntia putkeen, pahimmillaan herään tunnin välein. Olen jatkuvasti uupunut. Unettomuus vaikuttaa kykyyni pitää balanssia työn, koulun ja vapaa-ajan välillä. Olen hereillä, mutta vain pinnallisesti. Ison osan ajasta aivot tuntuvat vetävän suoraa viivaa. Miksei tähän löydy parannusta?




Love, Luna



No comments:

Post a Comment